Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blogger's block

Since I started blogging again this spring, I've had several ideas germinate regarding possible posts. Unfortunately, I usually think about it in the car, or during work or class, when I'm not in a good position to write out notes or brainstorm in more detail. Half the time, the idea gets lost along the way. Sometimes, the idea gets so convoluted and misshapen by the time I'm in a position to address it that it loses its appeal as a potential post. Occasionally, one of those ideas actually makes it to the site. But the ones that really get me are the strong messages that lodge themselves in place, and that seem so clear and straightforward in my mind, but when I sit down to write it out, I run smack into a wall.

Tonight was one of those nights.

I had a concept begin to form during my lunch break. It crept around and ruminated all afternoon. While I was having dinner, it seemed so clear that I tried to start writing it up in my phone. (Stupid tiny Blackberry keyboard) Then I went to class, and on my way home, it bounced around some more.

Finally, I got a chance to sit down in front of the computer. I wrote out what I had started on my phone. Then... nothing. I actually have less written out now than when I started, because I dislike the flow. I don't like the way it starts, I can't make the transition into the main point, and I haven't even began to consider how it would wrap up.

And even now, the point seems so obvious in my head. Argh. I'm officially giving up on writing the post. Heavenly Father, if you want this message to be listed, it is entirely up to you to get it typed up. I certainly can't do it on my own. Not coincidentally, that has a lot to do with the subject of the blocked post. See how simple it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment